Today is my birthday. Today I turn 47. Apparently, in some circles, 47 is considered the “quintessential number”.
quin·tes·sen·tial [kwin-tuh-sen-shuh l]
of the pure and essential essence of something
of or pertaining to the most perfect embodiment of something
I can’t say I’m pure or perfect, but I am pretty gosh-darn content. I’ve learned some things in the last 47 years. Here are 47 of them:
1. Feeling broken? Smile. It fixes your face.
2. Shakespeare was correct. Sleep really does knit the raveled sleeve of care.
3. If you want to go to a party, you may need to ask for an invitation.
4. Let others be your mirror.
5. Yellow in the garden is welcoming.
6. Everyone is sentimental about something.
7. Good manners go a long way.
8. It is easier to tell the truth than remember a lie.
9. Nothing turns a pretty girl ugly faster than mean.
10. You go where you look. So look where you go.
11. You can’t fill an emotional hole with a physical object.
12. If you want to be interesting, be interested.
13. I have never regretted biting my tongue and biding my time.
14. Always wear sunscreen. And your seatbelt.
15. It’s hard to be angry while you’re dancing like Snoopy from Peanuts.
16. Birthday cake tastes better without a fork.
17. If you ask, “What do YOU think I should do?” people will tell you.
18. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
19. You are stronger than you think.
20. If you’re happy and you know it, shout it out.
21. Bring your best and enough to share.
22. Candle wax will loosen a sticky zipper. (I kid you not.)
24. If you don’t know, ask. Take good notes.
25. Sit in the nice chair.
27. A book is a passport.
28. We learn most efficiently when we are either utterly terrified or joyously laughing. I choose laughing.
29. A lot of stuff is none of my business.
30. Leave it better than how we found it.
31. Something to do. Something to love. Something to hope for.
32. Never negotiate against yourself.
33. Making the same bad choice multiple times does not make it a better choice.
34. Handwritten thank you notes are always in style.
35. “Famous and quite wonderful” is a state of mind that inspires a way of being.
36. It’s cool to introduce cool people to other cool people.
37. The secrets to success should not be kept secret.
38. Step away from the computer.
39. We keep going because we keep going.
41. A good scrub in the tub makes it all better.
42. A sandwich is more delicious when someone you love makes it for you.
43. The cure for “sad” is showing kindness to another.
44. You can sing (many, if not all of) Emily Dickinson’s poems to the tune “Yellow Rose of Texas”.
45. Tiny victories stack up to make a mountain.
47. You are loved.